Alon USA–Bakersfield Refinery
a Neighbor for More Than 70 Years.
On September 9, 2014 the Kern County Board Supervisors voted 5-0 to approve the Alon Bakersfield Refinery Crude Flexibilty Project. We very much appreciate the many supporters of the project and Bakersfield Refinery. Please see additional information on the Crude Flexibility Page. Thank you Kern County!!
The Alon USA Bakersfield Refinery is poised to be a significant contributor to the Kern County economy. Alon USA Energy and its subsidiary, Paramount Petroleum Corporation, have combined their years of experience in the refining industry to develop the Crude Flexibility Project, which will add jobs and revenue to the local community while enabling the Alon USA Bakersfield Refinery to maximize its operating potential.
Community support is important to our company and to this project. We are committed to transparency and to ensuring the safety of our neighbors and the environment. Please review our plans and contact us with any questions or comments. We look forward to contributing to the growth of Kern County’s economy!
The Crude Flexibility Project will provide substantial economic opportunity for Kern County by providing hundreds of jobs while promoting California’s goals of energy independence.
• More than 100 full-time good paying local jobs added through the refinery operation
• More than 30 full-time local jobs added through the unit train crude terminal operation
• More than 200 prevailing wage Jobs for local building trades members during project construction
• Nearly 900 jobs added to the local economy through the multiplier effect from the refinery’s operations
• An investment of $75-$100 million into the Alon USA Bakersfield Refinery
• For every dollar earned from refinery operations an additional $2.45 in indirect earnings for the local region.
• 17,000 barrels of gasoline per day for motorists
• 29,000 barrels of diesel and jet fuel per day for transportation and agriculture
The proposed Crude Flexibility Project will bring hundreds of jobs and millions of dollars in economic benefit to Kern County and Bakersfield. Read more about the project.
Commitment to Safety
Ensuring the safety of our employees and the community is among our highest priorities. We are committed to continuously improving our Health, Safety and Environmental performance and promoting employee safety on and off the job. We believe that all occupational injuries and illnesses, as well as safety and environmental incidents, are preventable, and are committed to a goal of zero accidents. Read more about safety plans and emergency response.
During 2014, the refinery will install additional weather monitoring equipment and perimeter sensors for detecting potential releases of hazardous materials. The new equipment will enhance communication internally at the refinery and externally with the community and emergency responders. This investment underscores our commitment to community safety and supports our Prevention, Early Detection and Early Notification objectives.
& Safety Status
The new weather monitoring and detection sensors will provide up-to-date information on our Website. Anyone, at any time, can view information on the status page and learn about the safety and operating status at the refinery. This technology also lets us communicate quickly in the event of a potential incident.